The Southland Branch was the founding branch of the NZDA. We have over 350 members and meet every 3rd Wednesday of the month at 8pm (excluding December & January. )
You can also follow us on https://www.facebook.com/southlandnzda/
(Photo Doug Gordon, winner 2019 photo competition - Scenic)
Branch members help build new Hunters Hut at Murray River on Stewart Island.
STEWART ISLAND HUNTER REPORTS.
If you have been directed to this page to complete a report on your hunting trip to Stewart Island please follow this link:- http://www.southlanddeerstalkers.org.nz/hunter-returns/
LATEST NEWS FROM OUR RAT TRAPPING PROGRAM FOR 2018
Updated December 2019
Since 2006 members have been undertaking a rat control program at Mason Bay Stewart Island. Between September - Dec 2018 6 parties involving 22 hunters spent significant time checking 309 traps over 14 km of lines. Each trap is cleared and reset at least twice. Following on from a low catch year in 2017 for the 2018 year 280 rats were trapped by our teams. Six wild cats were also killed. 2019 has been a record year. With our 6 parties completed we have accounted for 11 50 rats. This is over almost 500 rats more than our previous highest total. For the report on the 2019 year.
The good news is that Hunting & Fishing Invercargill store have undertaken to provide us generous sponsorship which will mean that this program will continue into the future. Big thanks to Gerald and Mike.
WAPITI IN FIORDLAND (Photo Roy Sloan)
New Zealand Deerstalkers Association Southland Branch
Join the club promoting the interests of hunters!
New Zealand Deerstalkers Association began in Invercargill in 1937.
Today, Southland Branch is one of over 50 Branches and more than 6000 members.
NZDA Objectives are :
- to promote recreational hunting and game management,
- to promote training and safe use of firearms in our backcountry,
- to protect the rights and privileges of access and firearms ownership,
- and to promote the conservation and sound management of our introduced wild animals as well as our native flora and fauna.
What Southland Branch offers:-
- Regular monthly meetings with guest speakers. Monthly newsletter.
- Hunts Instruction courses in safe firearm handling, bushcraft, rivercrossing, first aid and hunting techniques.
- A range of organised trips for different fitness levels.
- $5 Million Public liability insurance including $1m rural fire protection.
- Conditional access to South Wood Export exotic forests.
- Access to Branch huts at Hauroko, Mavora and our Lodge at TeAnau.
- Representation to local and national government and Department of Conservation on hunting matters.
- Discount on Dept of Conservation Annual Hut Pass.
- Quarterly NZ Hunting & Wildlife magazine. $27.80 retail
- Our own Clubrooms at Longbush.
- Annual trophy and photographic competitions
- Olympic standard indoor air rifle range with moving target.
Why Join Southland Branch NZ Deerstalkers Association?
- Meet new people with similar interests
- Learn about hunting areas and access
- Club trips are often cheaper than doing it alone.
- Club trips are certainly safer than doing it alone.
MEETINGS ARE AT CLUBROOMS, LONGBUSH HALL, McKerchar Road every 3rd Wednesday of the month at 8pm
NEW MEMBERS MOST WELCOME
Our hall is on McKerchar Road at Longbush between Woodlands & Kennington (East of Invercargill on S.H 1)
We have our meetings at 8p.m. every 3rd Wednesday of the month.( No meetings December & January)
Feel free to come along.
South Coast Productions
Heritage and Wilderness Adventure Films
"We are worried that a lot of our old film is disappearing as are the tales, and tellers of them from yester year, so we are keen to record some of these tales with one story leading to another. We try to capture some of the great stories of our time, the heritage which has helped to create the iconic kiwi." - Producer Dave McCarlie.
Southland Branch NZDA support South Coast Productions in their quest to capture New Zealand outdoors on film. Visit their website:
Department of Conservation Hunting Information SOUTHLAND
New Zealand Deerstalkers Association National Office.
Animal Skin Tanning Services Ltd.